I am writing this post to summarise the very useful discussion I had with my supervisors yesterday about the works I did last month and also the plan for this summer.
During the meeting both of my supervisors gave positive comments on the map practice I did. They also encouraged me to visualise more data relating to the location of the compositing companies that I am doing case studies with.
Further more, they also advice me to write analytical essays, which integrate the information shows on map, from trade press as well as film text. Moreover I can try to generates more useful questions by doing this writing and thinking.
In addition, they gave me constructive feedback on my writing about the the research I did into trade journal, which shows the industries context of digital compositing. They advice me to keep reading widely and also associated it with the film analysis.
We work out the plan for my research before next meeting, which is on 16th of September. I agreed that I will fulfill the following tasks:
1. I will draft 3000 words literature review, which includes academic publication, historical contexts as well as industrial context around my research questions.
2. I will also drafts 3000 words writing discussing my research methods.
3. I will also drafts a clearer structure for my thesis.
I will submit this three pieces of writing before 25th of August.
4. From 25th of August to 11th of September I will travel to China. I will do interview with visual effects companies in Beijing. I also plan to film the interview, which will be useful for my practice for the research.
In order to do that I will do the preparation from now to the end of month, which include:
First, book equipment in the department.
Second, contact visual effects companies in Beijing.
Third, I will work out a plan for recording sound
5. We all think it is very important to ask visual effects companies as well as professionals in indutry for participation. I have designed online survey, wrote the requests letters and passed the Bristol University research ethic review. I will do more preparation as well as introduce my research further on my blog during July,2013. I will start send out the interview request letters and the online survey questionnaire in August.
6. I will also workout a research time table from now to December.
7. I will check screen digest website: http://www.screendigest.com and read the relevant articles
8. I will also check the website : www.bufvc.ac.uk for copy right information.
9. I will always keep reading, watching films blogging as well as trying to visualise the data I get.